Table of contents
Description Of The Go-To Editor 4.0
Become The Go-To Editor
Fundamental Editing – Advanced Storytelling – Career Branding
Step-By-Step, Hands-on Film Editing, Storytelling & Career Strategies with Real Footage
A course for film and video editors who aspire to become supreme storytellers and valued collaborators. Go-To Editors are on speed-dial of directors, producers, and clients. They get to pick the projects they want to work on and can ask for premium payment rate.
Be The Guardian Of The Audience.
Film and video editing doesn’t stop with mastering software and workflow. It’s about storytelling, social skills, and savvy career moves. Go-To Editors are in demand because they elevate the films they work on, turn clients and directors into euphoric fans, and keep the drama on the timeline (and away from the edit bay).
- Learn film editing by working with dailies from real film projects. You get access to actual scenes from an A-list festival feature with an Oscar winning actress, a documentary released in theaters by a big studio, and real branded content.
- Work with your preferred editing software (e.g. Premiere, Avid, FCP) or follow along as I download, install and set-up the first project on the free professional editing software DaVinci Resolve.
- All lessons offer on-the-job training, where you organize footage, cut scenes, and build a broader story arc. You get the scene dailies, audio files, and script pages. (NOTE: For educational purposes only. Footage & edited scenes MAY NOT be publicized, sold, put on your reel, or used as a work sample. See Terms of Service.)
- Once we tackled the basics, we focus on the most important part of editing: Storytelling. Every lesson covers important aspects of shaping character, story, and emotions.
- Next to storytelling, social skills are just as important to establish yourself as a Go-To Editor. That’s why I developed a strategy for getting the right meetings, landing the job, negotiating rates, and leveraging up.
- Yes, I cover reel and resume, but Go-To Editors get 90% of their jobs through word of mouth. This is where I share my step-by-step Career Master Plan that keeps my phone ringing.
- We focus intently on the collaboration process and your personal branding strategies.
- Participate in our regular Editing Bootcamps where real directors provide edit-ready scenes with the intent of hiring one or more of our students to cut the final film (with credit & pay)
What you’ll learn in The Go-To Editor 4.0
Module #1: Editing Fundamentals
- 1-1 How to Go-To Edit
- Overview for All Newbies
- 1-2 DaVinci Resolve – Pro Editing Software (Free Install)
- Download: Dailies Pack 1
- 1-3 Ingest & Sorting
- 1-4 Marking & Selecting (Most Important Part of Good Editing)
- CASE STUDY: The Thought Process Behind Select Reels
- 1-5 The Most Important Cut
- 1-6 Append, Overwrite & Insert Edits
- 1-7 Cutting Video & Audio
- CASE STUDY: Basic Audio: Mics, Levels, Noise Reduction, EQ
- 1-8 J & L-Cuts
- The Go-To Editor – FAQ
- 1-9 Module 1 Finish Line
- Wipster Tutorial: Get Feedback On Your Scene Work
- CASE STUDY: Watch Sven Cut the Module 1 Scene
Module #2 – Advanced Editing & Storytelling
- 2-1 What is Story?
- Download: Dailies Pack 2
- 2-2 The Dramatic Question
- CASE STUDY: Infusing Drama Into a Scene Through Editing
- 2-3 Connecting Scenes
- How Is Your Editing Going?
- 2-4 The Joke as a Story
- CASE STUDY: Advanced Audio – Best Practices
- 2-5 Meaning of a Cut
- 2-6 Audience Engagement
- CASE STUDY: Reshuffling The Scene
- 2-7 Editing Concepts
- 2-8 The Process of Editing
- 2-9 Conclusion
Module #3 – Personal Branding & Career Strategies
- 3-1 Why Editing Is Not Just Storytelling
- 3-2 The Craft of Editing
- 3-3 Social Skills
- 3-4 Finding Work
- CASE STUDY: Steve Gets Advice on His Resume/CV
- 3-5 Websites and Social Media
- 3-6 Leveraging Up
- CASE STUDY: Why Become a Post Runner
- 3-7 Is Film School Important
- 3-8 Getting the Meeting
- CASE STUDY: Targeted Client Acquisition with LinkedIn
- 5 Websites for the Job Searching Editor
- 3-09 Being Good in the Room
- 3-10 Mock Interview
- 3-11 Cold Call – Providing Value
- CASE STUDY: The Magic Email That Gets You a Response
- 3-12 Yourself as a Brand
- 3-13 Books: Becoming a Brand
- Develop Your Editor Brand With These 5 Questions
- 3-14 Good vs. Bad Clients
- CASE STUDY: How To Make A Living As Remote Editor
- 3-15 Negotiating Your Rate
- Module #3 – Key Points
- 3-16 Conclusion: Having Choices
- Career Strategy Master Plan
- Turn Your Short Film Editing Strategy Into Action Steps
- TEMPLATE: Turn Any Strategy Into Action Steps
Module #4 – Genre Editing Exercises (Narrative Drama)
- 4-1 Narrative Editing – Briefing
- 4-2 Download Dailies Pack 3
- CASE STUDY: “Veep” (Emmy-winning TV Show) – 5 Stages of a Cut with Roger Nygard, ACE
- GROUP SEMINAR: Assistant Editing (In Animation)
- FOR YOUR REEL – Access To Scene Dailies From The Feature Film “30-LOVE”
Module #5 – Genre Editing Exercises (Documentary)
- 5-1 Documentary Editing – Briefing
- 5-2 Download Dailies Pack
- CASE STUDY: “The Square” (Oscar Nominated Doc) – Process of a Pro Editor
- CASE STUDY: Documentary Sound Editing & Design
- FOR YOUR REEL – Access To Scene Dailies From The Documentary “Dirty Old Man”
Module #6 – Genre Editing Exercises (Corporate & Branded Content)
- 6-1 Branded Video Editing – Briefing
- 6-2 Download Dailies Pack
- CASE STUDY: “Mercedes Commercial” (feat. Tennis Star Roger Federer) – Process of a Pro Editor
About Sven Pape
Sven Pape is an ACE Award-nominated editor and popular YouTuber known as This Guy Edits, with over 450k subscribers and almost 43 million views. With over twenty years of experience cutting for James Cameron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and James Franco, Sven uses his channel to celebrate the invisible art of editing and teach the craft through various YouTube tutorials and his online premium courses.
Just before moving from Germany to South Africa, Sven discovered his love for filmmaking. While still adjusting to the cultural changes of his new lifestyle, Sven explored his interests by watching South African films and working several internships, one of which was for an advertising agency.
More courses from the same author: Sven Pape
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to Skills Course account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your skillscourse.net account then going to Downloads Page.