Table of contents
Description Of Close Range Fight Control
Close Range Fight Control is the advanced skills package to enable you to develop power-based training with deadly up-close fighting skills
But, before we go any further, there are a few things you need to consider.
If you don’t yet have a good basic boxing stance, with reasonable balance, then you are not ready for this.
If you are not yet able to move about with a basic level of control and composure, then you are not ready for this.
If you are not yet able to execute straight punches, the jab and straight back hand, then you are not ready for this.
To get the most from this training system, you need to have a grasp of these basic skills.
Attempting these more advanced level skills without having the fundamentals may lead to bad habits and faults.
Let’s not try to run before we can walk.
What you’ll learn in Close Range Fight Control
Exactly what you get in this package
- Module 1 – About Close Range Fighting
- Module 2 – Getting to Close Range
- Module 3 – Hooks and Uppercuts
- Module 4 – Defence and Attack
- Module 5 – Boxing Footwork at Close Range
- Module 6 – Creating Openings
- Module 7 – Exiting Close Range
- Module 8 – Tactics at Close Range
- Module 9 – 12 Killer Combinations
- Module 10 – Training Sessions
What’s in the modules?
Module 1 – About Close Range Fighting
This module is really about setting the scene.
We establish what close range fighting/infighting actually is. We define close range fighting. We use my ‘5 ranges of boxing’ to give you structure and understanding of your position in relation to the target.
We describe the objectives of close range fighting, the characteristics of great close range fighting and the all-important ‘risk vs reward’ concept.
Module 2 – Getting to Close Range
In this module you get 5 methods of getting the fight to close range. This is about giving you options to be dynamic in the ways you launch your attacks.
The 5 methods of getting the fight to close range are:
- Frontal Assault
- Fix and Close
- Low Range/Undercover
- The Battering Ram
- Draw Them In.
No more walking around, this is about empowering you to build a platform for power.
Module 3 – Hooks and Uppercuts
When punching at close range we use hooks and uppercuts. In Module 3 we go through all of the hooks and uppercuts at close and mid-range, ensuring the technical precision of each shot.
You also learn the principle of the target, flanks and centreline. This is an absolutely critical concept for successful close range fighting, defining super-precise zones of attack against the target.
We examine the use of single hooks, double hooks, single uppercuts and double uppercuts and we build some starter combinations to give you context and understanding of how these shots work together.
Module 3 is the ‘armoury’ section of the Close Range Fight Control training system.
Module 4 – Defence and Attack
When you know how to throw the shots you need to know how to defend those shots.
In this module you get the different methods of defending yourself against incoming hooks and uppercuts and importantly how to turn that defence into attack.
We study blocks, wedge blocks, roll and fire and duck and fire. I also describe for you a really smart technique that I call the Venus Fly Trap – super-effective at close range.
Module 5 – Boxing Footwork at Close Range
As with all boxing techniques, excellence is based upon solid footwork. This is about core capabilities; dynamic boxing, power maximisation and a base for defence.
In this module and after an in-depth introduction, we cover 4 key footwork techniques:
- The Stance Width
- The Pivot
- The Stance Switch
- The Angled Side Step.
Module 5 is packed full of amazing drills and insights, we really start to unpick excellence in close range fighting.
Module 6 – Creating Openings
A key element of my boxing philosophy is that you don’t wait to see what an opponent does. You dominate. You make things happen. You initiate and control the exchanges.
Module 6 covers the concept of dynamic punching, prising open your opponent’s defence, the art of deception and feints, the attack switch and the range switch.
This module has a rich set of tactics and techniques to take your infighting to the next level.
Module 7 – Exiting Close Range
There is no point doing fantastic work at close range, dominating the exchange and potentially landing damaging shots on your opponent, only to be smashed because you ‘disengage’ without the required consideration.
Boxers getting caught with unnecessary shots ‘on the way out’ is a source of immense frustration to coaches like me. It is essential to exit as safely as possible – the job is only half done when you have landed your shots.
In this module you learn simple techniques for getting out of range after you’ve done your great work – the icing on the cake if you will.
Module 8 – Tactics at Close Range
Having gone through a whole range of techniques up until this point in Close Range Fight Control, it makes sense know to venture into the arena of tactics.
You get 7 killer tactics, from the just plain clever to the outright dirty – by popular demand I have included some ‘rough house’ tactics.
So in Module 8 we cover the following:
- The rules relating to close range fighting
- Preventing The Set
- Strength Deflection
- Staying Off The Ropes
- Use of the Lay Back
- Rough House Tactics
- Taking a Rest.
Module 9 – 12 Killer Combinations
In Module 9 I have included 12 combinations that I consider to be a starting point. The 12 combinations are separated into 3 groups:
- Combinations 1 to 4 – Getting to close range
- Combinations 5 to 8 – Working at close range
- Combinations 9 to 12 – Exiting close range
These combinations give an excellent starting point to start bringing the techniques together.
You get the blueprint to build your own machine-gun combinations that push your capabilities into that of the elite operator.
Module 10 – The Training Sessions
In this final session there are 5 audio guided sessions that you can use to guide your heavy bag bag or shadow boxing work. Each session consists of 3 x 3 minute rounds and is themed to reinforce the learning through modules 1 to 9. The session themes are:
- Session #1 – Get to the fight
- Session #2 – Close range intensity
- Session #3 – Defence into attack
- Session #4 – Dynamic footwork and punching
- Session #5 – In and out
The real benefit to you here is that you get real time guidance and motivation to ensure that you can drive technical excellence and get the most out of your training session.
What’s in this for You?
- The 3 core concepts of close range fighting (Module 1)
- A simple definition of close range fighting (Module 1)
- Why maintaining effective defense is as important as maintaining effective offense (Module 1)
- How to establish yourself in one of five ranges from a fixed target for maximum effectiveness (Module 1)
- 5 ways to get close to the target quickly and with minimal risk (Module 2)
- Why making yourself small can be a huge advantage (Module 2)
- Deploy the boxing equivalent of the ‘Battering Ram’ (Module 2)
- The direct approach of the frontal assault (Module 2)
- 3 ways to land the ideal left hook (Module 3)
- How to master the most challenging punch in boxing – The Uppercut (Module 3)
- The fastest way to double your punches (Module 3)
- The simple system to enable you to place your punches with perfection (Module 3)
- 3, 4 and 5 punch starter combinations to bring your punches to devastating life! (Module 4)
- How to master seamlessly turning defense into attack (Module 4)
- Rolling, slipping and ducking to make yourself a genuine hard target (Module 4)
- How to defend hooks and uppercuts to the head AND the body (Module 4)
- How the Venus Fly Trap can inspire super-effective counter punching (Module 4)
- 3 ways to make your close range footwork elite-level (Module 5)
- The Mike Tyson stance switch – how to be elusive and deadly in equal measure (Module 5)
- Why the pivot is the most overlooked skill in boxing and how you can execute ‘in the pocket’ (Module 5)
- How to deliver bombs before, during and after the pivot (Module 5)
- How to remain a constant threat with the angled side step (Module 5)
- 4 surefire ways to penetrate the tightest of defences (Module 6)
- Why you should learn to throw low power and low speed punches (Module 6)
- How to switch your attacks and unlock super-effective fighting (Module 6)
- Why your boxing drills should push your mind as well as your body (Module 6)
- Learn 4 ways to become a human crowbar when prising open defences (Module 6)
- Why repeating the same patterns can make you predictable and vulnerable (Module 7)
- Learn 3 ways to ‘leave the scene of the crime’ cleanly (Module 7)
- ‘Leave with grace’ with the roll (Module 7)
- How to be a grandmaster at close range tactics (Module 8)
- Why being on the ropes is a really bad idea, even with ‘Rope a dope’ (Module 8)
- How to make your opponent’s greater strength work in your favour (Module 8)
- How to deflect a monster! (Module 8)
- 4 rough house tactics that open the door on fighting dirty (Module 8)
- How to conserve your energy to maximize your fight effectiveness (Module 8)
- 12 fight combinations that separate the best from the rest (Module 9)
- 4 ways to do destructive damage on the way to the target (Module 9)
- Close range combinations that ooze power and precision (Module 9)
- How to leave the scene of the crime and put out big firepower on the retreat (Module 9)
About Fran Sands
My name is Fran Sands and I’m the founder of MyBoxingCoach.
I’ve been involved in boxing since 1978, first visiting a boxing gym at the age of 6.
I took part in 60 amateur contests winning regional titles, reaching national semi-finals and finals and representing my country at Under-19 level.
When I hung up my gloves at the age of 21 and after a short break from the sport, I moved into a coaching role.
Since 1996 I have coached amateur boxers helping some amazing young talent to realize their potential.
I have worked with numerous national champions and international boxers and enjoy immensely the feeling of working on the technical and tactical development of boxers at all levels, always enjoying very positive feedback from my charges.
In 2010 I created MyBoxingCoach.com.
I wanted to use my coaching skills to provide a real and effective boxing learning resource, especially to those who are not lucky enough to have easy access to good boxing coaching.
Throughout the site you will find a wide range of quality coaching videos and articles that will empower you to bring real boxing skills development into your fitness regime.
There are videos covering pretty much every individual skill executed in boxing, from straight punches through to uppercuts and hooks, from slipping and ducking to rolls, blocks and parries.
There are also a full range of boxing drills, tactical insights and fighter analysis videos that allow you to get ‘under the skin’ of boxing in order to give yourself the best possible opportunity to implement a lasting boxing training regime as part of your fitness programme.
I pride myself on providing clear, structured and actionable instruction so that you can begin the learning process right away.
More courses from the same author: Fran Sands
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to Skills Course account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your skillscourse.net account then going to Downloads Page.