Table of contents
Descripition of Cinematic Lighting Master Course
Lighting is the single most important skill in achieving a professional, cinematic look to your footage. In this course, working Hollywood filmmakers teach you the tools, skills, and techniques to elevate your productions to the next level.
What You’ll Learn In Cinematic Lighting Master Course?
- How to measure light
- Work with the dynamic range and latitude of your camera
- Master the Inverse Square Law
Tools and techniques to reduce light:
- Working with wire scrims
- Working with dimmers
- Remotable Wi-Fi dimming options
- Solids, cutters, and floppies
- Creating negative fill
- Lensers and Courtesies
- Protecting fabric scrims
- Scrim and C-stand rigging safety
- Neutral Density gel on windows
Tools and techniques to soften light
- How to control the size of a light source
- Using Fresnels to craft the spread of light
- Controlling wraparound
- Working with diffusion on barn doors
- Working with soft boxes and Chimeras
- Skinning 4x4s
- Working with 6×6 overheads
- How to control spill from soft light sources
- Real world demo
Tools and Techniques to Shape Light
- The power of shadows
- Creating internal vs external shadows
- Benefits and drawbacks of barn doors
- Working with black wrap
- Egg crates and louvres
- Flags and solids
- Creating gobos
- Working with a cucoloris and brancholoris
- Building duvatyne skirts
How to work with reflected and bounced light
- Factoring in the Inverse Square Law
- Foam core and bead board
- Collapsible reflectors
- Shiny boards
- Physics of reflected light
- Bouncing light off ceiling
- Working with overheads
- Shaping hair lights
- Working with mirrors
How to work with color temperatures and white balance
- Defining how a camera sees white
- The Kelvin scale – origins and how it’s used
- How the imaging sensor sees color
- Measuring light sources with a spectrometer
- White balancing techniques
- How to cheat white balance
- How to use gels to color correct light sources
- Light loss calculations through gels
- Working with LEDs
- Working with sunlight
- How to gel windows
How to professionally light and shoot green screen
- When to choose green or blue
- Differences between chromakey and digital blue/green
- Shooting in a studio vs on location
- How to light green screen (space lights, cyc lights, LED, Kino-Flo, book lights)
- How the bit depth and compression affect a key
- Capturing in LOG vs REC709
- How to expose actors
- How to reduce spill and create a cleaner key
Three point lighting techniques, variations, and real world applications
The attributes of light and how to control each of them on set
The roles, duties, and responsibilities of the members of the Electric Department
- The gaffer
- Best Boy Electric
Plus, how to select and use common light sources, their benefits and drawbacks, including:
- Tungsten lighting
- HMI lighting
- Kino-Flo fluorescent lighting
- LED lighting
More courses from the same author: FilmSkills
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to Skills Course account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your skillscourse.net account then going to Downloads Page.